Birla Corporation plans to raise cement capacity to 15Mt/yr

Release time:


India: According to the Financial Chronicle, Birla Corporation plans to increase its cement capacity to 15Mt in the next four years.

"At present our cement production capacity is 9.3Mt/yr. We want to take it to 15Mt/yr in the next four years," said Birla Corporation chairman Harsh Lodha. He said that there is an oversupply situation in the cement market at present as capacities have been built in the last three to four years on higher demand expectations, but demand has not risen.

Meanwhile, Birla Corporation is awaiting a limestone mining lease from Assam Mineral Development Corporation (AMDC). It had earlier signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with AMDC to set up a 1Mt/yr plant there. Once it gets the mining lease from AMDC, it will form a joint venture company with the state-run corporation and get the project off the ground. AMDC will hold 12.5% of the equity and Birla Corporation will hold the remaining 87.5%. Lodha said that the proposed plant would be set up with a capital outlay of US$94.5m.